Wednesday, February 9, 2011

free from damage, injury or decay

Lest things fully slip into some haggard (yet alluring) blend of Tongue's aural eroticism and a semi-semi-relevant Hipster Runoff spin-off, I have some sense of duty to dust off a bit of real estate with property lines snuggled between the 'outsider' or avant, and the 'hipster' pop music that seems to be the source of oh so much derision.

(incidentally, I have peer-reviewed studies that indicate 'hipster' means precisely the same thing as 'indie' or 'emo'. which is 'nothing')

I am alright with being the one who defends Vampire Weekend or James Blake. Because I know what they are supposedly aping; I've heard the source material. But that doesn't make "Horchata" any less infectious (and leave any 'whitewashed, faux South African' gripes at the door, I'm busy nodding my head). And Blake might be a skinny, white Brit but homeboy also croons like Antony and manipulates his Macbook like Stockton to Malone.

The Truth (holla!) is never as interesting as The Wish (gotta recruit her).

1 comment: